Williamson County Amateur Radio Service, WC-ARES, meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at the Williamson County Jester Annex, 1801 East Old Settler's Blvd. Google map link.
Our meetings start at 7:30 PM and we try to have a Guest Speaker, ARES Topic or Training at each meeting which last for about an hour.
The only thing "Amateur" about this group is in the name. We strive to provide the most Professional Radio Operators possible. We support both government and non-government organizations with emergency communications in times of emergency.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Mark Stennett NA6M and Jim Kinter K5KTF were elected to a two-year term to the WC-ARES Board of Directors in December of 2014. Their terms expire on December 31, 2016. Terry Jones K5LGV and Jonathan Estill AF5DF were elected to a two-year term in December 2015. Their terms expire on December 31, 2017.
WC-ARES uses two open repeaters:
- 146.640 PL=162.2 in Georgetown *
- 147.080 PL=100.0 in Georgetown.
* We hold a training net on the 146.640 repeater every Sunday at 8:00 PM. The NET may be on either repeater, depending on conditions.
WC-ARES also owns a portable emergency repeater for use in disaster areas. It currently uses the frequency 444.650 and a tone of 100.0. The frequency is anticipated to change once we acquire a new duplexer. It is only on the air for disaster use, and would be in the disaster area.
Here is a copy of the WC-ARES Net Script in Word and .pdf format, both were updated on 12/15/2014:
Here is a copy of the 2015 WC-ARES Emergency Comm Plan WC-ARES Emergency Comm Plan in .pdf format. The plan is in process of being updated.
To join WC-ARES, click here and create an account. Fill out the requested information.
WC-ARES supports various Public Service events in the area:
- Rogue Run Foot race in Cedar Park
- Red Poppy bike event in Georgetown and points east
- Outlaw Trail 100 mile bike event in Round Rock and points east
- Jingle Bell Ride, a short family ride in Georgetown's San Gabriel Park.
We perform monthy tests on the Amateur Radio equipment installed at the following hospitals and EOCs on the 3rd Friday of the month at 4:00 PM.
- Cedar Park Regional Medical Center
- Scott and White Hospital, Taylor
- Scott and White Medical Center, Round Rock
- Seton Medical Center Williamson
- St. David's Georgetown Hospital
- St. David's Round Rock Medical Center
- Cedar Park Police Dept.
- Round Rock Fire Station #6
- Williamson County Emergency Services Operations Center
We have a Yahoogroup to keep our members informed on what's going on radio wise in the area. Feel free to join. Be sure to include your name, callsign and a brief note on why you want to join our group in your request to join.
All licensed Amateur Radio Operators are welcome.
For more info please contact:
Terry Jones, K5LGV
WC-ARES Emergency Coordinator
Williamson County ARES,Inc
P.O. Box 1272
Georgetown, TX 78627